Christmas Tree Skirt 2014
Quilt #141 on the 200 Quilts List
(Well, it feels like I made a quilt!)
Here I laid out the old Christmas Tree Skirt on top of the new one; it was made in the early 1970s out of pre-quilted fabric with a tricot backing, and homemade bias tape. It has served me well, Obi Wan Kanobe, but now it was time for a new skirt.
I pieced a little more onto one length of KONA snow in order for the skirt to measure 52″ in diameter, then used Steam a Seam II to cut out shapes. I was inspired by Betty’s skirt that she made last year, as well as others. The original inspiration was a tree skirt from Fat Quarterly 2013, but since I didn’t have a pattern and it was all proportional squares, triangles and rectangles, I just started cutting. Here I’ve laid an embroidery hoop so I could judge how the center circle would look. It took me about two days to get all the houses and trees arranged, partly because I wanted to use my stash and it that necessitated some color and value balancing. I have a piece of fabric from my first quilt in here, as well as some scraps from dirndls made from German fabric (which I love). I even have scraps of fabric from cotton I’d purchased in Rome, Italy some 14 years ago, as well as some Japanese fabrics, also purchased on a trip. Build your stash, everyone. It’s a fun place to visit.
Binding was interesting. I thought I’d use a large red/white dot, but when I cut it on the bias, I got this effect. Nyet! So I went with a narrower stripe than the one shown, cutting it on the bias so it would go around the curves. I pieced it, then folded it in half. A trick I learned in Clothing and Textiles was to press the curve into the bias tape. It went on like a charm.
In working on this, I zipped through two books and am in the middle of one more. The two I couldn’t wait to listen to were both Inspector Gamache mysteries, set in Canada:
Bobbin Statistic: 5 (in other words, how many bobbins it took to get this thing quilted)