It all began here, with my Millefiore mood board, drawing on colors from the National Park in Croatia, Plitvice Lakes. I had decided to jump in and go with all of Quilting America that year and join the The New Hexagon Millefiore Quiltalong. I was pretty much nuts to do this. This was photographed on January 19, 2015.
First glued-up paper pieces: January 19, 2015.
First public appearance for Rosette #1: March 14, 2015.
Last public appearance for quilt, mocked up in Photoshop: July 15, 2018. That’s over three years, if you are doing the math.
As you know, I hated the crenellated edges on this particular quilt. So the quilt sat in the corner until this week. Then suddenly it was do or die time, and I picked up making little sections to fit into the cut-outs.
And here it is today, all edges filled in.
I pretty much used all the papers I’d taken out of the rosettes — once they were sewn together — and categorized these pieces into bags, using paper clips and rubber bands to keep them organized.
To keep track, I took a photo, and numbered the half–hexies I was making. I ended up not needing to do this for every corner, as I used long triangles that fit into the zig-zaggy sides (#5-12) in a variety of darker fabrics (taking cues from the adjacent blocks).
I kept one half-hexie out on my cutting mat and tried different “puzzles” of what could go in that shape. I had pretty much determined that I was not going to use a full half-hexie; I’d seen others and to me they looked bland, like they didn’t add anything to the quilt. I did end up using one, but the fabric had a print that just worked.
I used triangles and a variety of other shapes to fill in, always letting the adjacent fabrics dictate what I’d use for the fill-in fabrics.
Because I like to keep records, and because I’m hoping this will help others when they try this technique, here are all the filled-in shapes and the marked spaces (scroll past fast, if it doesn’t interest you):
I did my own thing on this rosette.
I liked how I was able to complete the “bird points.”
The half-hexie on the lower left is the only one cut from one piece of fabric, but I think it reads as more complex.
I used a floral Kaffe fabric from deep in the interior (just barely out of sight on the middle left).
This is the rosette that started it all, and I still like it.
More info on my new quilt stand, coming in a couple of weeks. But now I have my final Frivols to attend to!
22 thoughts on “Millefiore Quilt Update”
An amazing and beautiful quilt. All your hard work certainly paid off. 🙂 xo
Oh, Elizabeth, this is just incredible. Well worth 3 years!
I bow to your persistence, creativity and “harnessing” that “left-brain super power”!!!! For me (even IF I would have attempted such a piecing!) this would be just daunting enough to allow it to languish quite a while longer!!! It is stunningly gorgeous!
I look forward to seeing/hearing of your quilt stands. I really should make that investment, also!!!! Hugs………..
I love how you finished yours. Makes me want to drag mine out of the closet and fill in similarly (yes, mine is still languishing). I am grateful that you are always willing to share your trials as well as your successes.
i Love your quilt! Stunning, simply stunning! thank you for sharing your process & congrats on finishing 🙂
That is really glorious. I love the pops of color the yellow brings.
That is a major WOW quilt. Although I have no desire to attempt such an undertaking, I surely admire those who do. That quilt is GAGA gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
The attention to detail you paid to finish the edges is fantastic. I love that you were able to complete points, too. Good luck with your last Frivols and I hope you get to come back and work on this again soon!
Amazing doesn’t come close to describing this quilt! Can’t wait to see it with all the quilting. Did you have a general plan for the overall color effect before starting? I love how the yellow seems to glow. Well done Elizabeth.
A tremendous work of art! The colors are delightful and yes, the yellow does glow. It needs a home in a quilt museum or on display where many people will enjoy it. Promise it will not be shoved back into the corner.
Having worked with EPP’s I know the work involved. You are amazing.
My suggestion, grab a few elf’s ( ‘‘tis the season) and pay them for a extra help during 2019. 😘
Nice! I can see why you delayed the finish–too much detail! But how great having it finished!
Now, don’t you feel good?! What a stunning finish and your persistence is most admirable. I did not jump on that wagon, but watched you and that was quite satisfying!!
It’s stunning! I definitely think you made the right call with the edges. How do you plan to quilt it?
This is stunning. A really fabulous finish 🙂
Looking at this again, I think its just stunning . . . no border needed.
This is beautiful!
So beautiful! Loved that you filled in the edges. Congratulations on a beautiful finished top!
Thanks for pointing out all the detail. It will be very helpful when I get to that point with mine. And yours is stunningly beautiful!
Hooray for ta-done! I just finished my oldest WIP which clocked in at 11 years and 7 weeks. Good luck with quilting this!
Love your quilt! I agree about the jagged borders so I chose to applique mine to a border. It was a work of love but I think mine took about a year and a half…lots of it done while riding back and forth from CO to MN before my MIL passed away. Definitely my keepsake quilt ad I’m sure you feel the same way.
So wonderful with marvelous color. Admire your persistence which really pays off.