I went looking for a new purse the other day. I’m headed up to Utah to help celebrate my father’s 90th birthday and needed a new purse so I won’t embarrass myself with my three other fabulous high-fashion sisters, who buy purses like this:
My nieces and a few younger quilters thought they were terrific, but when you are up against Prada, you know Betsey Johnson is going to be just too out there. (But I did kind of like the milk carton.) I realized that a purse I had purchased in 1988 looked just like the $150 purses on the rack that I liked, I decided to take that one with me. But at the very least, I still wanted a new tote bag.
The fabric is called Geishas and Gingkos from Lonni Rossi, and it’s not only cool on the print side, but I flipped some around for that peek-a-boo pocket in the front, too. It’s probably the first time I haven’t thrown the fabric in the back of the stash cupboard, but instead turned into something current.
I used Two Pretty Poppets Stand Up & Tote Notice, whose name I tried mightily to figure out, but never did.
I wasn’t in love with this pattern, but I can’t really fault it in anyway either. Her directions are pretty good, with lots of photos, but it took me a day of working up my courage to jump in with printing off the PDF, aligning everything, re-tracing it for a pattern (which often didn’t align with the other part of the pattern) to figuring everything out. It does earn points for that very cool front pocket, the interesting angled top and pretty good directions. I wish it had a picture of all the pattern pieces with their names and what to cut out of what; I kept the PDF patterns close by while sewing. You’ll probably have an easier time of it, so give it a try before you pass judgement on it.
I couldn’t figure out how big it was in real life, even though the dimensions were all listed. I found out only later, that the medium (the size I made) was just about 1″ too short to fit my iPad in below the snap closure. I can get it in sideways, so I’ll probably do that. I also change up the pockets in all the patterns I make, so mine are a bit different.
Cool front pocket. I spliced it so I could enjoy the purple flowers from this fabric line, but used the backside of the fabric at the top.
It calls for foam in the middle. I used Soft and Stable from ByAnnie.When sewing the lining in, I found this problem again: mis-matched size of pattern pieces. I made it work. No big deal.